Marble
University of Notre Dame
Loading navigation...

Dijon Cathedral: Overall view, west facade

Date

Circa 1910

Location

Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries

Dedicated to Saint Benignus of Dijon. Established in the first half of the 6th century CE, from the early 9th century St .Bénigne was the personal monastery of the bishops of Langres. The Benedictine Rule was introduced in 869. The earliest parts of the church may date from 882. The present church, however, is principally the work of campaigns from the early 11th century to the 14th, modified by minor changes in the 16th and 17th centuries, radical destruction in 1792 and over-zealous restoration between 1858 and 1888. It was originally in two parts, a basilica and a three-storey rotunda (17 m in diameter), of which only the crypt survives.

Dedicated to Saint Benignus of Dijon. Established in the first half of the 6th century CE, from the early 9th century St .Bénigne was the personal monastery of the bishops of Langres. The Benedictine Rule was introduced in 869. The earliest parts of the church may date from 882. The present church, however, is principally the work of campaigns from the early 11th century to the 14th, modified by minor changes in the 16th and 17th centuries, radical destruction in 1792 and over-zealous restoration between 1858 and 1888. It was originally in two parts, a basilica and a three-storey rotunda (17 m in diameter), of which only the crypt survives.
Open external viewer application

Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.