- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Carthusian Charterhouse, Granada ›
Carthusian Charterhouse, Granada: Exterior detail, part of the monastery
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
When Hurtado Izquierdo took over direction of the Sagrario of the Cartuja (1702-1720), work had already started on the walls and the base of the tabernacle. He added two lateral chapels at a lower level to strengthen the fabric, and he introduced oculi near the floor to allow a view of the Sacrament from them. The tabernacle and elaborate decorations of the Sagrario were executed in polychrome marble, jasper and porphyry. The sacristy was built between 1727 and 1764 by Luis de Arévalo and F. Manuel Vasquez. The priory house was completely destroyed in 1943. The monastery was inhabited until 1835 when the monks were expelled.