- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany›
- Church of Saint Nicholas, Kiel: Interior ›
Church of Saint Nicholas, Kiel: Interior
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The brick Gothic hall Church of St. Nicholas was built around 1242 and 100 years later, following the example of St. Peter's Church in Lübeck, was rebuilt with a long choir. In 1877-1884 the church was refaced with a neo-Gothic facade. After the church in was heavily damaged in 1943 and 1944, during the Second World War, it was rebuilt. Reconstruction took place in 1950 by the architect Gerhard Langmaack largely in simplified modern shapes and materials, such as concrete piers and a concrete ceiling. Many of the interior furnishings were saved including the altar (1460), baptismal font (1344), Triumphkreuz (monumental crucifix, 1490) and the Baroque pulpit (1705). It is now a Lutheran church.