- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Parish Church of Our Lady, Saint-Thégonnec ›
Parish Church of Our Lady, Saint-Thégonnec: Detail, campanile and part of parish close
The bell tower is "Beaumanoir style" (from the workshop of the Beaumanoir family) and dates from 1653. It is a very regional Breton interpretation of Baroque.
The village is noted for its very elaborate parish close (an enclosed area around the parish church, including the church yard and a number of other features). In common with others in the area, the Saint-Thégonnec close features a large ceremonial entrance arch, stressing the importance of the close as a focus for pilgrimage and pardons. An impressive calvary or crucifix forms the focus of the church yard. As at nearby Lampaul-Guimiliau, there is a separate charnel house or ossuary, with a life-sized tableau of the Entombment of Christ. The interior of the church is exemplary of the local version of Baroque style, with a large quantity of polychrome sculpture and decoration, including a spectacular pulpit.