- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands›
- Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis ›
Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis: Overall three quarter view from small bridge over the Hofvijver
Several splendid residences were consequently constructed on the Plein during the 1630s. The only one that survives is the Mauritshuis (1633-1644), a small palace by van Campen and Post, which was built for Johan Maurits, Count of Nassau-Siegen (now the art museum). In 1704, most of the interior of the Mauritshuis was destroyed by fire. The building was restored between 1708 and 1718. In 1820, the Mauritshuis was bought by the Dutch state for the purpose of housing the Royal Cabinet of Paintings, and the museum first opened in 1822. It is noted for the style called "Dutch Classicism" with its use of a colossal order of Ionic pilasters articulating the facade.