- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Chapel Solferino, Luz-Saint-Sauveur: Overall view ›
Chapel Solferino, Luz-Saint-Sauveur: Overall view
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The building no longer has the tall spire, or the side tower.
The chapel was built in the 19th century over ruins from the 12th century. Luz-Saint-Sauveur had become a spa and resort and was frequented by Napoleon III and Eugenie in the 1860s. Napoleon III was attracted to the ruins and their history and decided to rebuild a chapel there dedicated to the dead of the Battle of Solferino (June 4, 1859). The modern International Red Cross was founded (and the Geneva Conventions established) as a result of the carnage of that battle.