- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- New Saint-Elisabeth Begijnhof in Sint-Amandsberg ›
New Saint-Elisabeth Begijnhof in Sint-Amandsberg: Exterior view, Sint-Amandsberg Begijnhof
Chapel dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua (?), part of the New Saint-Elisabeth in Sint-Amandsberg Begijnhof (built 1873-1874).
A Béguinage (Dutch; begijnhof) is a collection of small buildings used by Beguines, which were several lay sisterhoods of the Roman Catholic Church, founded in the 13th century in the Low Countries, of religious women who sought to serve God without retiring from the world. There are three in Ghent; Old Saint-Elisabeth (known as Holy Corner), New Saint-Elisabeth in Sint-Amandsberg (built 1873-1874 when Holy Corner was abandoned) and Our-Lady Ter Hooyen (known as Klein). St Elisabeth Begijnhof and the Klein Begijnhof were both founded in 1234. The entire group of Flemish Béguinages was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Arthur Verhaegen was the architect in charge of the new Sint-Amandsberg complex. Duke Engelbert von Arenberg had this neo-Gothic complex built in 1873-1874 to house 300 Beguines. The new beguinage was laid out within an 8-hectare walled area in Sint-Amandsberg, then an independent municipality but now part of Ghent.