- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Convent of the Holy Cross, Segovia ›
Convent of the Holy Cross, Segovia: Detail, street-side facade with finial and crocket details
Founded by St. Dominic de Guzman (1170-1221) in 1218. The complex houses the Cueva de Santo Domingo, the cave where St. Dominic had a vision, now a richly decorated chapel. The convent came under the patronage of the Catholic Kings and was enlarged in the 15th century. Isabella the Catholic particularly favoured the town, restoring the aqueduct and the monastery of Santa Cruz (1478-1485), built by Juan Guas. It currently houses the University SEK.