- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland›
- Temple de la Madeleine ›
Temple de la Madeleine: Detail, exterior apse with modern stained glass
The Gothic church, Temple de la Madeleine, was built in 1430 after a fire destroyed this section of the old city. Only the Romanesque bell tower survived the fire. The church was heavily restored in the 20th century when the existing, and more modern style, stained glass windows were added. Temple de la Madeleine is located just north of the Cathedral of Geneva. The church played a major role in the Reformation, and calls to mind names such as Jean John Calvin, Guillaume Farel or Michel Servet.