Corvaja Palace: Overall view, showing merlons and pointed arches
Originally built in the 10th century by the Arabs who then ruled Taormina, having conquered the town in 902. It was subsequently added to over various periods up until the 15th century. Its main body is an Arabic tower, and it has an inner courtyard where the Arabic influence can be seen in the arched windows and doorways. A 13th century staircase leads up to the first floor and an ornamental balcony which overlooks the courtyard. It takes it name from the Corvaja family, who were amongst Taormina's most important aristocrats and owned it from 1538 to 1945.