Hôtel d'Escoville, Caen: Detail, carved capital
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
A hôtel particulier in the old town center of Caen, built in 1530 and rebuilt after World War II. Born in 1475 , Nicolas Valois Escoville was the son of John Valois, Lord of Escoville and Mesnil-Guillaume, one of the richest merchants in Caen, knighted in 1522. The hôtel has four wings surrounding a courtyard; the decoration is Italianate. The right wing, perhaps built by Hector Sohier, was completed in 1535. A descendant, Jacques Moisant de Brieux, hosted an intellectual salon in the hôtel which became a formal Academy, 1652-1685. In 1862, the entire building is classified a historical monument and a first restoration takes place. It was badly damaged in WWII and is partially restored.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Church of Saints Gervais and Protais: Overall view, side elevation behind houses fronting the Seine

Theatre de la Renaissance: Overall context view of facade and right side

Bordeaux Cathedral: Raking view of south side, base of the separate Tour Pey-Berland

Topographic views of Nice: Aerial view

Chapel of the Jesuit College, Eu: Overall view, Louis XIII style facade

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Paris: Overall view
