- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of Saint Gervais and Saint Protais, Gisors ›
Church of Saint Gervais and Saint Protais, Gisors: Detail, carved wooden door of the portal of the northern transept
The new church, begun by Blanche de Castille in the second quarter of the 13th century, was consecrated in 1239 by Eudes Rigaud, archbishop of Rouen. The Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais parish church fuses Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The three-storey Gothic choir dates from 1249. A helicoid staircase gives access to the organ; of Renaissance style, it was influenced by the staircase of the castle of Blois (Loir-et-Cher). The Grosse Tour ("Big Tower") of the church (the north tower) was built between 1542 and 1590. The portal of the northern non-projecting transept still has finely carved wooden doors, which remain the first examples of use of the Renaissance style in the church. It was classified as a historic monument in 1840.