Rathaus, Aachen: Detail, double staircase on the market side facade, a Baroque addition
The 14th century city hall lies between two city squares, the Markt (market place) and the Katschhof (between city hall and cathedral). The coronation hall is on the first floor of the building. Inside are five frescoes by the Aachen artist Alfre Rethel which show legendary scenes from the life of Charlemagne, as well as Charlemagne's signature. The construction was begun in 1330, building on the foundations of a ruined palace (the Aula Regia of the imperial palace, from the Carolingian period). The Granus Tower survives from this period and has been incorporated. The building was completed 1349. During the great town fire of 1656, part of the roofs and towers were burned, and rebuilt in a Baroque style. The building was damaged in World War II bombing and restoration was completed ca. 1979.