Odéon Theater, Paris: Exterior detail, central facade, portico
The Odéon Theatre in Paris is one of France's six national theatres. It is located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris on the left bank of the Seine, next to the Luxembourg Garden. It was built between 1779 and 1782, in the garden of the former Hôtel de Condé, to a Neoclassical design by Charles De Wailly and Marie-Joseph Peyre. The new theatre was inaugurated by Marie-Antoinette on April 9, 1782. This formed part of an ambitious programme for the redevelopment of the land occupied by the Hôtel Condé; De Wailly served as the city planner. In 1990, the theater was renamed Théâtre de l'Europe.