- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Scuola Grande di San Marco: Overall view, with canal ›
Scuola Grande di San Marco: Overall view, with canal
Religious confraternities, formed in the 13th century and dedicated to a patron saint, the scuole met for church services, for the funerals of their members and for their yearly banquets. There were six "grand", large confraternities. The Scuola di S Marco, named after Venice's patron saint, was given an upper limit of 600 brothers; the others were allowed to enroll 550 members. Originally built in 1260, it burned and was rebuilt starting 1485. The lower half of the facade is by Lombardo; Codussi completed the upper half. While decorated with the polished marble elements of Renaissance classicism, the proliferation of arches and niches adds a retrogressive Byzantine flavor, an architectural feature of many conservative Venetian styles.