- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Belgium›
- Town House ‘De Beyaert’ ›
Town House ‘De Beyaert’: Overall view of the "small Beyaert" section
From 1474 until 1914, the building was the city hall of Mechelen, so labeled as such on this lantern slide.
The town house 'De Beyaert' was originally a medieval building that was constructed to house pilgrims coming to view the relics of St. Rumoldus Rumbold. This was later expanded. The original building, the "small Beyaert", dates from the 12th century. It was purchased by the city magistrates in 1383 and enlarged. One can still see the original part in the short, traditional wing on the side nearest to the cathedral. In the 15th and 16th centuries a new part was added, called 'the large Beyaert'. It was renovated again in 1907-1908. It was used as the town hall of Mechelen from 1474 until 1914. It now houses the Post Office of Mechelen.