Kolomenskoye [site]: Model in wood of the Kolomenskoye estate, used for reconstruction
Upon departure of the court for St Petersburg, the wooden palace got dilapidated. On the orders of Catherine II, the palace was demolished in 1768. Fortunately a wooden model of the palace survives, and the Moscow Government has begun its full-scale reconstruction.
Kolomenskoye is a Russian estate, situated on the River Moskva ca. 10 km south-east of central Moscow. It was a favourite country residence of the Grand Princes of Moscow and the Tsars from the time of Ivan Kalita (reigned 1328-1340). In 1923 the surviving buildings on the estate became part of the State Historical Museum, and in 1971 a special museum reserve was established for collections of Russian medieval icons and objects. Both sets of gates, being made of stone, are original to the estate. Some of the wooden vernacular architecture has been recreated; other historic wooden buildings have been moved to the site.