Hôtel Lallemant: Detail, ornamentation around windows, upper courtyard
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The Renaissance ornamentation is concentrated around the windows and turrets in the upper courtyard. In the early 16th century, after the fire that burnt much of the town in 1487, stone houses were built, such as the Hôtel Lallemant, a masterpiece of the early Renaissance. It is built on the Gallo-Roman wall, which explains the sloping passageway linking the upper courtyard (where the main entrance was situated) and the lower courtyard (now the visitors' entrance) and leading to the inside spiral staircase. Now the Museum of Decorative Arts, the Hôtel Lallemant houses collections of furniture, paintings, tapestries and objets d'art from the 15th to the 17th century.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Church of Saints Gervais and Protais: Overall view, side elevation behind houses fronting the Seine

Theatre de la Renaissance: Overall context view of facade and right side

Bordeaux Cathedral: Raking view of south side, base of the separate Tour Pey-Berland

Topographic views of Nice: Aerial view

Chapel of the Jesuit College, Eu: Overall view, Louis XIII style facade

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Paris: Overall view
