- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Châlons Cathedral: Distant view along the river ›
Châlons Cathedral: Distant view along the river
Formerly called Châlons-sur-Marne, the city was officially renamed in 1998. It is the seat of the Bishops of Châlons and was consecrated in 1147 October 26, by Blessed Pope Eugene III. The cathedral is also noted for its stained glass windows. The first Romanesque cathedral was built in the 12th century. It was mainly rebuilt in Gothic style; the apse, the transept and three bays of the nave were completed in 1261. The west façade (in Baroque style) and two bays were added in the 17th century (1628-1634). The cathedral was restored in the nineteenth century by followers of Viollet-le-Duc.