Château de Chantilly: Interior, chapel, view of altar and windows taken from the Château d'Ecouen
The Château's chapel, dedicated to Saint Louis, was constructed in 1882 by the architect Honoré Daumet. The architect was inspired by the chapel in the Château d'Ecouen, which was constructed by Jean Bullant in the 16th century. Elements such as the altar (attributed to the sculptor Jean Goujon), the marquetry panelling and the two stained glass windows (1544) come from this chapel. These facing windows represent (on the left) the son of Le Connétable Anne de Montmorency protected by Saint John, and (on the right) the daughters of Le Connétable and his wife Madeleine de Savoie, protected by Saint Agatha.
The Château de Chantilly is a historic château located in the town of Chantilly, France. It comprises two attached buildings; the Grand Château, destroyed during the French Revolution and rebuilt in the 1870s, and the Petit Château which was built around 1560 for Anne, Duc de Montmorency. It is now owned by the Institut de France, and is open to the public. The first mansion (no longer extant, now replaced by the Grand Château) was built in 1528-1531 for the Constable Anne de Montmorency by Pierre Chambiges. The Petit Château was also built for him, around 1560, and probably by Jean Bullant. The original mansion was destroyed in the French Revolution. It was repaired in a modest way by the last Condé, but then entirely rebuilt in 1875-1881 by Henri d'Orléans, duc d'Aumale (1822-1897) to the designs of Honore Daumet. The château's art gallery, the Musée Condé, houses one of the finest collections of historical paintings in France (after the Louvre), with special strength in French paintings and book illuminations of the 15th and 16th centuries. The library of the Petit Château contains over 700 manuscripts and 12,000 volumes, including a Gutenberg Bible, Les très riches heures du Duc de Berry and Jean Fouquet's Book of Hours of Etienne Chevalier.