City Hall: Overall view, quai side, seen across the Reuss river, the top of the Rathausturm visible
The tower, the Rathausturm, was built in 1505 as a part of the fortifications of the town wall. The later hall (Rathaus) was added between 1602 and 1606 in Italian Renaissance style but crowned with an Emmentaler-style roof. It is considered one of the most important in Switzerland, combining traditional and Italian Renaissance forms. The local farmer's market is still held in the arcaded lower floor facing the Reuss river, on the quai (riverside market area of Unter der Egg).