- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- City Gate of Saint Peter, Assisi: Overall view ›
City Gate of Saint Peter, Assisi: Overall view
There were originally Roman walls surrounding Asisium, dating from 2nd century BCE. These ran some 2.5 km. As the medieval city grew, a new ring of medieval walls and gates was constructed, from ca. 1260. By 1316 there were five "riones" with a gate. The length of the city walls had increased from the 2.5 km of the Roman circuit to 4.6 km. The new circuit contained the two fortresses that Cardinal Albornoz (arrived in Assisi in 1354) built at this time: Rocca Maggiore and Rocca Minore. The new circuit had eight gates, many of which took on the names of the older ones that they replaced: Porta San Giacomo; Porta Perlici; Porta Sant' Antonio; Porta Nuova; Porta Moiano; Porta Sementone; Porta S Pietro; and Porta San Francesco. The "Strada Mattonata" (brick road), which pilgrims followed to Santa Maria degli Angeli, left the city from Porta San Pietro.