Chambéry Cathedral: Overall view of main facade
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
It is the seat of the Archbishopric of Chambéry, Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne and Tarentaise (created in 1779 as the Bishopric of Chambéry, elevated to the Archbishopric in 1817). The building dates from the 15th century, when it was constructed as a Franciscan chapel. The site is very swampy and the building is supported by 30,000 poles. It became the cathedral on the creation of the see in 1779. During the French Revolution it was extensively defaced, and the interior was entirely restored in the early 19th century. It contains the largest ensemble of trompe l'œil painting in Europe (almost 6,000 m²) by the artists Sevesi (completed 1810) and Vicario, as well as a maze almost 35 metres long laid down in 1860-1870 and relaid in 1989. There is a Franciscan convent and cloisters which adjoin to the church.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Church of Saints Gervais and Protais: Overall view, side elevation behind houses fronting the Seine

Theatre de la Renaissance: Overall context view of facade and right side

Bordeaux Cathedral: Raking view of south side, base of the separate Tour Pey-Berland

Topographic views of Nice: Aerial view

Chapel of the Jesuit College, Eu: Overall view, Louis XIII style facade

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Paris: Overall view
