- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- San Giovanni a Carbonara ›
San Giovanni a Carbonara: Context view, church facade is at right beyond stairs
The remaining Gothic portal and lunette is visible in the center, under the small round window.
The monastery and church complex of San Giovanni was founded by the Augustinians in 1343. The church was completed in the early 15th century 1418 under King Ladislas of Durazzo, who turned the church into a tribute to the last of the Angevin rulers of Naples. The current façade was constructed in 1707 or 1708 by Ferdinando Sanfelice, but maintaing the notable Gothic portal with a frescoed lunette.