- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Gaudens ›
Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Gaudens: Small shrine built of fragments from the building
The Collegiate Church of St. Peter and St. Gaudens, with its cloister and chapter house, this was one of the most important religious buildings in the Comminges. It was home to a college of canons ordinary, a community founded by Bishop Bertrand (charter of 1059). The 11th century Romanesque church, built on the typical Pyrenean plan as a basilica with a nave and two aisles, stands on the site of an earlier construction. It was extended in the 12th and 13th centuries with the construction of the cloister (1180-1185) and chapter house. The lateral north door was added in the 16th century. The church was burned in 1569, and remained abandoned until 1804. It was gradually restored, although much of the cloister and the chapter house was lost.