Palais Ducal, Nancy: Detail, interior courtyard with square tower
Tradition holds that Gerard of Alsace (reigned 1048-1070) was the founder of the ducal palace (Dukes of Lorraine) of Nancy. The palace formed the south-west corner of the developing town. In 1298 the original palace was abandoned and became a Dominican monastery. A new ducal residence was built on the same site as the present Palais Ducal (now the Musée Historique Lorrain). From 1501 the dilapidated Palais Ducal was rebuilt to a square plan that gave the Grande-Rue part of its present appearance. It was restored in the early 19th century. Most of the palace is Renaissance, but the porterie (portal of the gatehouse) has elaborate Flamboyant Gothic carving including an equestrian statue of Duke Antoine de Lorraine.