- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Royal Palace of Aranjuez ›
Royal Palace of Aranjuez: Partial view of central courtyard with center facade and left wing
Spanish palace that stands beside the rivers Tagus and Jarama in the province of Madrid. It was intended as a spring and summer residence for the royal family and is renowned for its gardens and fountains. The old palace was extensively enlarged by Philip II. The chapel was designed by Juan Bautista de Toledo and completed by Jerónimo Gili and Juan de Herrera. It was built in a combination of white stone from Colmenar de Oreja and brick, giving a two-toned effect that was adopted for the rest of the palace. In 1571 work began on the cuarto nuevo, as the new palace was described, beside the chapel. The gardens at Aranjuez are among the most important in Spain. They were first created by Philip II and their continued development was made possible by the plentiful supply of water.