Prato Cathedral: Detail of the external pulpit by Michelozzo and Donatello
Prato developed a Romanesque architectural style of its own, influenced by the architecture of Pisa, Lucca and Lombardy, which was best exemplified in the colorful, striped, marble interior of the nave and cloisters of the cathedral, which was rebuilt from 1211 by Guidetto da Como (active ca. 1204-1211). Gothic arches and vaulting, the presbytery and its five chapels and the five-storey campanile were added in the 14th century. The upper stage of the bell tower was constructed in 1356. During the 14th century, the Cathedral acquired an important relic, the Sacra Cintola (Cingolo) or Belt of the Holy Virgin. The external pulpit of the Sacro Cingolo (1433-1438) was later designed by Donatello and Michelozzo di Bartolomeo and decorated with reliefs by Donatello (originals now in Prato, Mus. Opera Duomo).