- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Abbey of Our Lady of the Assumption, Saint-Brice ›
Abbey of Our Lady of the Assumption, Saint-Brice: Overall view of the intact facade with blind arcades
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
Abbey church of the regular canons of Saint Augustine. Classed as an historic monument 1948. The abbey was founded either in 1000 or 1077. Longer than forty-five meters, the abbey church of the twelfth century was a single nave, originally with three domes on pendentives. The facade, flanked by attached pilasters, is divided into three registers by cornices, and presents an elegant series of blind arcades. Its multilobed portal opens between two narrow blind arches. The moldings are bare but the archivolts and capitals are carved with entwined foliage. The flat chevet was rebuilt in the fourteenth century. It was ruined during the wars of religion in the sixteenth century. At the Revolution, it was sold as national property.