- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Chateau-L'eveque: Partial view of one wing and turret ›
Chateau-L'eveque: Partial view of one wing and turret
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The Château-l'Évêque castle, sometimes called Saint-Vincent castle, is an episcopal castle of the 14th through 16th centuries. It has been registered as an historic monument since 1938. It was used as the summer residence of the Bishops of Périgueux. Adhémar de Neuville, Bishop of Périgueux, built the castle in 1347. It is noted as the site of the ordination of Vincent de Paul (1581-1660) to the priesthood, performed in the chapel of the castle by François de Bourdeilles, Bishop of Périgueux on September 23rd, 1600.