- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Église Saint-Pierre de Senlis ›
Église Saint-Pierre de Senlis: Detail, west facade and main portal
The northern bell tower (left) is Romanesque, ca. 1050 (the lower half; the top has a conical spire from 1431). The southern bell tower is Renaissance.
The west facade overlooks Place Saint-Pierre, the market-square. After it ceased being a church following the Revolution it became a covered market (1881), which saved it from demolition. It was used by the city until 1979; it is now closed because of its poor condition. There has been a church on the site since the Merovingian period. The northern bell tower is Romanesque, ca. 1050 (the lower half; the top has a conical spire from 1431). The rest of the present church dates from 1250-1590. The west facade dates from 1510 to 1530 in Flamboyant style.