- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Coutances Cathedral: Overall view, west facade and spires ›
Coutances Cathedral: Overall view, west facade and spires
It is the seat of the Bishop of Coutances and Avranches, previously the Bishops of Coutances, dedicated to Notre-Dame. Standing 80 metres (295 ft) tall it dominates the town and can be seen from as far away as Jersey. It is a classic example of the Gothic style of Normandy in its use of long straight vertical lines. Subsequent alterations to the cathedral included the building of a series of elegant interconnecting nave aisle chapels ca. 1300 and the expansion of the axial chapel of the choir in the 14th century. The cathedral, which is ca. 80 m long, was restored after World War II by Y. Froidevaux.