- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- San Zaccaria: Overall raking view of facade ›
San Zaccaria: Overall raking view of facade
Dedicated to St. Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, whose relics it contains. The present church was built in a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles between 1444 and 1515. Antonio Gambello was the original architect, who started the building in the Gothic style, but the upper part of the facade and the upper parts of the interior were completed by Mauro Codussi in early Renaissance style. Eight doges are buried in the still existing Romanesque crypt. The altarpiece is by Giovanni Bellini.