- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Old Church, Saint-Lunaire ›
Old Church, Saint-Lunaire: Overall view, church and close with Calvary
La vieille église, the Old Church, restored in 1954. The 11th century nave has two shorter aisles and joins the choir (the sole Gothic part of this Romanesque church) by a triumphal arch. Side chapels host the graves of local lords, the Ponthual and Pontbriand families. In the middle of the nave a Gallo-Roman sarcophagus with a posthumously engraved lid is presumed Saint Lunaire's grave. As is common with Breton churches, there was an elaborate parish close (churchyard) with several components, including a Calvary. The triumphal arch is part of the usual iconography as well. The graveyard was moved in the 1950s and only the 16th station of the Calvary remains on the south side of the church. It is carved on two sides, Christ on the east side and the Holy Mary with her Son on the west one.