- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy›
- Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Pisa ›
Church of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Pisa: Overall view of facade
A mendicant church of the Dominicans. The current edifice was built between 1251 and 1300. The façade (completed in 1326) has two registers of small Gothic loggias (as shallow decorations) and a central rose window. The interior is a single large hall, which suffered a fire in 1651. Renovated in the 18th century, it houses works by Lippo Memmi (Triumph of St. Thomas, 1363), Fra Bartolomeo (Madonna with Sts. Peter and Paul, 1511), and marble sculptures by Andrea Pisano (Tomb of Archbishop Simone Saltarelli, 1343) and his son Nino Pisano ("Annunciation", 1368). In 1320, Simone Martini executed the St. Catherine Altarpiece (a polyptych), one of his most famous works, for the church. The painting is in now in the San Matteo Museum in Pisa.