- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Basilica of the Holy Saviour, Dinan ›
Basilica of the Holy Saviour, Dinan: Distant view, apsidal end, with radiating chapels
A Romanesque church with Gothic chapels and apse. In 1480 the nave was expanded, adding an aisle on the north side, flanked by five elegant chapels. The upper part of the facade was demolished, then rebuilt and has a large bay. It continued with the construction of the two transepts, and then, in 1508, the choir, the ambulatory and its nine chapels. In the eighteenth century the three-tiered bell tower was completed, only ten years before the Revolution. Restored by Victor Ruprich-Robert ca. 1860. The church contains the heart of Bertrand du Guesclin (died 1380) in a cenotaph.