Langres Cathedral: Detail, exterior of the chapel of the Virgin in the apse
It was built in the twelfth century and is dedicated to the 3rd century martyr Mammes of Caesarea. It is the seat of the Bishop of Langres. Around 1140, bishop Geoffroy de La Roche-Vanneau (1139-1162), a companion of Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, took the decision to rebuild the cathedral. The cathedral was consecrated in 1196. In 1209, the holy relic of the head of Saint Mammes was brought to the cathedral. In the thirteenth century the cloister was built (of which two arcades remain today) as well as the chapel of the Virgin in the apse (promoted by the canon of Vergy). Various rebuilding occurred after fires in 1314 and 1562. The facade was rebuilt 1761-1786 in a Neoclassic design by Claude-Louis D'Aviler. Alphonse Durand built the sacristy from 1857 to 1862 and performed other restoration work.