- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Archbishop's Palace, Burgos: View of main portal ›
Archbishop's Palace, Burgos: View of main portal
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
From 1074 Burgos was the seat of a diocese that had the standing of an archbishopric, depending directly on the Holy See. The palace formerly sat on the southwest side of the cathedral. Its demolition, conceived and directed by the architect Vicente Lampérez, began in July 1914 and lasted for months. A new palace was built in 1916 in a Baroque Revival style on the Calle Martinez del Campo, and houses the Archivo Diocesano de Burgos (genealogical records).