- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland›
- City Hall, Fribourg ›
City Hall, Fribourg: View of central square including the St. George fountain
As Fribourg's territory expanded, the city's political influence grew, and by 1478 it was made a free imperial city. The town hall (from 1501), on the site of the Zähringen Fortress (destroyed 15th century), is Late Gothic in style. The ground-plan is trapezoidal, and it was originally a granary. Hans Felder completed it in 1522. It is located within Fribourg's Old City and today seats the Cantonal Parliament and Court.