Versailles: Royal Chapel: Overall view of interior of chapel, looking toward apse
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
Shows ground and Corinthian levels and polychrome inlaid marble floor.
Assisted by Robert de Cotte. The two-storey royal chapel at Versailles, begun in 1699 to plans prepared in 1689, has a Classical order of tall Corinthian columns at the upper level where the King's gallery, entered from his suite in the château, was placed; these columns support an entablature from which the vault springs, and they lend an air of nobility and lightness to the chapel. Ceiling was painted by Antoine Coypel. Dedicated to Saint Louis, patron saint of the Bourbons, the chapel was consecrated in 1710.