Medinet Habu: Ramessid columns in the peristyle court, Mortuary Temple of Ramses III
Site of ruins dating from the Early New Kingdom (ca. 1500 BCE) through the Coptic Period (700-800 CE), including the Temple of Amun. Located at the southern end of the Theban necropolis, on the west bank of the Nile. More specifically Medinet Habu is the name commonly given to the Mortuary Temple of Ramesses III (known as the "Great Temple" of the site.) The temple itself is the best preserved of its kind in Thebes and exemplifies many of the classic features of a royal mortuary temple. Its massive pylons and outer walls are covered with reliefs extolling the King's prowess in battle, particularly his repulse of invasions by Libyans and Sea Peoples.