- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Peru›
- Church of the Society of Jesus, Cuzco: Detail ›
Church of the Society of Jesus, Cuzco: Detail
On the east side of the Plaza de Armas is the twin-towered La Compañia de Jesus, a Jesuit church built on the Inca site of the Amarucancha (Palace of the Serpents, of the ruler Huayna Cápac). Considered by many to be the finest church in Peru, it is filled with exceptional murals, paintings and carved altars. The church was almost entirely demolished by the earthquake of 1650, rebuilt, and finally finished 18 years later.