Lérins Abbey: Medieval Castle: View of the fortified monastery
On the second largest of the Lérins Islands. Since the fifth century, the island has been home to a community of monks. The island, known to the Romans as Lerina, was uninhabited until Saint Honoratus founded a monastery on it around the year 410. The island was raided over the centuries by the Saracens and pirates, necessitating the fortified monastery, mostly dating from the 15th century. In medieval times, the island became a very popular place of pilgrimage. In 1859, the island was bought by the Bishop of Fréjus, who sought to re-establish a religious community there. Ten years later, a Cistercian community was established, which has remained there since. This abbey lies inland from the castle, which sits on a spit of land on the beach.