- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom›
- Edinburgh Prison: Distant context view of the prison ›
Edinburgh Prison: Distant context view of the prison
Was on Calton Hill, a rocky outcrop to the east of Princes Street; the Governor's House is the only surviving remnant of Calton jail (also known as Old Gaol or Bridewell.) At one time this was the largest prison in Scotland and until 1864, public executions were carried out on top of the building, watched by crowds below. The Jail, originally located below the Governor's House, was demolished in the 1930s to make way for St. Andrews House.