- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain›
- Royal Charterhouse of Valldemosa: Distant overall view ›
Royal Charterhouse of Valldemosa: Distant overall view
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
The charterhouse was founded as a royal residence and later converted into a monastery of the Carthusian order. The monastery existed from 1399 until its secularization in 1835 under the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal. The monastery is a museum today, consisting of the main church which is still in use, the old pharmacy, various cells and rooms of the prior and the monks, the former library, dining room, garden, as well as the rooms (cells No. 2 and No. 4) where the Polish composer Frédéric Chopin and the French writer George Sand stayed in 1838-1839.