Palatine Hill: Imperial Palace Complex: Basilica, Palace of Augustus
Date
Circa 1910
Location
Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries
In the Imperial period, a basilica (an audience hall) for large audiences also became a feature in the palaces. According to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf that kept them alive. During the Empire (27 BCE-476 CE) several emperors resided there; in fact, the ruins of the palaces of Augustus (27 BCE-14 CE), Tiberius (14-37 CE) and Domitian (81-96) can still be seen. Overlooking the Forum Romanum is the Flavian Palace which was built largely during the reign of the Flavian dynasty (69 -96); Vespasian, Titus and Domitian. This palace, which was extended and modified by several emperors, extends across the Palatine Hill and looks out over the Circus Maximus. The building of the greater part of the palace visible from the Circus was undertaken in the reign of the emperor Septimius Severus (146-211). The two houses on the Palatine Hill in Rome belonging to Augustus and his wife Livia conform in their layout to the traditional house type, as best known from examples in Pompeii and were relatively modest. The Domus Aurea built by Nero covered part of the Palantine Hill.
Our collection information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. If you have spotted an error, please contact Architecture Library, Hesburgh Libraries at asklib@nd.edu.
Also from
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Palazzo Farnese: Overall view, main facade

Episcopal Palace, Verona: Raking view of facade facing the Piazza Vescovado

Gate of Saint Nicholas, Florence: Overall view

San Clemente: Overall view of exterior facade behind the peristyle cloister courtyard

Church of Saint Anastasia, Verona: Overall view of unfinished brick facade

Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute: Overall exterior view, viewed from the Grand Canal
