- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Basilica of Saint Anne of Auray: Overall view of the church ›
Basilica of Saint Anne of Auray: Overall view of the church
The second largest pilgrimage site in France after Lourdes, dedicated to Saint Anne. The Basilica and cloister were rebuilt after the French Revolution (1867-1872) replacing a chapel dated ca. 1630 and are part of a larger sanctuary with several other chapels and monuments. Anne of Austria and Louis XIII enriched the sanctuary (the original chapel) with gifts, and in 1641 the Queen obtained from the Pope permission to build a confraternity, which Pius IX raised to the rank of an archconfraternity in 1872.