Chartreuse de Champmol: Remains of a tower and the rebuilt church
A Carthusian monastery on the outskirts of Dijon. The monastery was founded in 1383 by Duke Philip the Bold to provide a dynastic burial place for the Valois Dukes of Burgundy, and operated until it was dissolved in 1791, during the French Revolution. The complex had two cloisters, a church, small cottages, a private oratory for the Dukes, and other buildings. It is noted for the Well of Moses by Claus Sluter (still in situ) and once held rich artworks, including two sculpted tombs, now largely dispersed to museums. The buildings and land were bought by Emmanuel Crétet (1747-1808); he destroyed large parts of the buildings and the church. In 1833 the estate was bought by the local département as a mental asylum, and many new buildings erected. Part of the church remains in a truncated form.