- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Church of Saint Paterne ›
Church of Saint Paterne: Overall view, showing west door and the bell tower
The cult of Saint Paterne Orleans was introduced by Britons fleeing the Norman invasions of the tenth century. The church was formerly called St. Pouair. Until the Revolution, it was a priory attached to the abbey of Saint-Père de Chartres. There was great destruction of the suburbs and their churches in the Hundred Years War (1337-1453), twice by the citizens themselves to avoid their serving as retrenchment for the English. In 1429 the siege was lifted by Joan of Arc, 'Maid of Orléans'. The ruins and churches were rebuilt (St Aignan; St Paterne; St Euverte; Chapel of St Jacques; St Pierre-du-Martroi) or improved (towers of St Euverte and St Paterne). The eastern quarters around St Euverte and St Paterne were enclosed by a second extension of the walls (1466-1475). The church was rebuilt in the 19th century and the old bell tower demolished in 1913.