- Home ›
- Architectural Lantern Slides›
- Architectural Lantern Slides of France›
- Senlis Cathedral: Overall view, west elevation ›
Senlis Cathedral: Overall view, west elevation
A former cathedral; was the seat of the Bishopric of Senlis, abolished under the Concordat of 1801, when its territory was passed to the Diocese of Beauvais. It is one of the earliest churches with a vaulted tribune in northern France. The sexpartite vaulting on alternating supports in the choir and the eastern bays of the nave appears to derive from Sens Cathedral. The choir has been dated to 1151-1160 and the nave and lower part of the west front to 1160-1175. In the 13th century two double bays of the nave were replaced by a crossing and transepts and the steeple of the southwest tower was built. After a fire in 1504 the transept was replaced by the architects Jean Dizieult and Pierre Chambiges, and the vaults and clerestory windows were rebuilt in all but the westernmost bay of the nave. The south portal, the work of Pierre Chambiges, was completed in 1538. The neo-Gothic axial chapel was built in 1847 by Daniel Ramée (1806-1887).